Wow! We're already rounding out Week 1 of the "31 Days of Nothing" Challenge!
1. It's incredible how wonderfully stingy I've become when faced with the prospect of not being able to run to the store for anything I want. For example, I realized that I only have half of a bag of ground coffee that is supposed to last me for the rest of the month (yikes!). In response, I've taken to making only 1 Cup's worth of coffee in the pot. Usually I'd just make a half a pot and throw out most of it, but I'd like to see how far I can stretch this half a bag of necessary caffeine!
Here's Six more ways I've been Stingy!
2. Because I'm only buying the necessities, I've decided to shop locally instead of making my bi-weekly trip to Aldi, saving me 40 miles per trip on the car/gas.
3. Compared to our last home, our new home is an Energy Star Rated House, thus making our power bill MUCH lower than our previous residence despite the fact that it is nearly 3x the size! That said, there's always ways to save more, so I've dropped the daytime temperature to 66 degrees and nighttime to 67 degrees (I just hate being cold in the night). Can't wait to see how much that lowers the bill!
4. This is a great opportunity to use up those old, dusty cans and boxes in the back of the pantry. Much better to use them now before they expire and waste money throwing them out! We're going to be using that year-old dried milk, that canned ham & those canned whole potatoes this month!
|Well Stocked Pantry|
6. As with last year's challenge, this is a real exercise in keeping our priorities in mind and an affirmation of how very lucky we are that we don't HAVE to go to this extreme to survive. This is certainly not true of so many, particularly in these bad economic times.
Meal Plan Week 1*:
Tuesday: Frozen Pizza
Wednesday: Chicken, Stove Top, Beans, Cranberry Sauce
Thursday: Spaghetti & Turkey Meatballs
Friday: Chicken Fingers, Wild Rice, Kale
Saturday: Macaroni & Cheese, Hot Dogs, Corn
Sunday: Fish & Chips, Clam Strips
Monday: Turkey Goulash
*With some variation, our other meals are typically:
Breakfast: Bagel Sandwich (husband), Egg on Toast/Crumpet (son), Cereal (me)
Lunch: Leftovers (husband), PB&J/Can Fruit/Chips (son), Soup/Egg on Toast (me)
Purchased at Grocery Store This week:
3 Diet Cokes (don't judge!)
Total Money Spent This Week:
Drug Store: $23.00
Gas: $0.00 (Still have half a tank! Woo Hoo!)
OK, now it's your turn! What have you been doing to keep up with the 31 Days of Nothing Challenge? Leave your totals, strategies & thoughts below!
Linking Up at Tip Junkie, Today's Creative Blog, The Frugal Girls, Funky Junk Interiors and these other Great Parties!