Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fake Clean Shower

It's been a while since I made up a new household cleaner - mainly because the ones that I use the most I've already made.

With my new home, however, there's one more cleaner that I find I am using up very quickly.  I'll give you a guess where I use it:


Yes!  In that BIG shower!  I'm going through at least 2 bottles/month!


Scrub Free Clean Shower Daily Shower Cleaner, Fresh Clean
Alice.com
I tried a couple different recipes for Clean Shower from Frugal Upstate, and after a few weeks of trial and error, here's my formula:

To Make Fake Clean Shower:  
1 Empty Spray Bottle (I used an old Clean Shower bottle)
1 Tablespoon Jet-Dry (or similar Dishwasher Rinse Agent)
2 Tablespoons Dish Detergent
1/4 Cup Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 Cup Rubbing Alcohol
Fill the rest of the bottle with water and shake!

A few notes:
1.  The Rinse Agent & Dish Detergent take care of hard water problems.
2.  The Peroxide & Alcohol take care of soap scum, bacteria & mold.
3.  The smell of my mix isn't as "fresh" as the original, but it is a clean smell that dissipates quickly.
4.   Bottom Line:  It works!  I've been using it daily for a month, and there is not a spot of mold, mildew or hard water in my shower.

I hope you'll try it and save!


The Fake-It Yourself Breakdown:

Fake Clean Shower (1 T Jet Dry $0.18, 2 T Detergent $0.02, Peroxide $0.06, Alcohol $0.06)

Total Fake-It Cost: $0.32

Compare to Original Clean Shower:  $3.00

Total Fake-It Savings: $2.68

Yearly Savings:  $64.32 (24 bottles)

Linking Up at Tip Junkie, Today's Creative Blog, The Frugal GirlsFunky Junk Interiors and these other Great Parties!   

25 comments:

  1. Going to mix this one up ASAP! Thanks for the cost breakdown :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been WAITING for a fake Clean Shower! Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, I have been looking for something to clean my new glass shower too!
    <3 Dana @ This Silly Girl's Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've seen (could be wrong) that you can use vinegar as a rinse aide instead of Jet-dry...do you think that could work here too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I have heard that vinegar could be an erroding agent to tile grout, so I would stick with the original recipe. Cheers! :)

      Delete
    2. See....I learn something new here everyday it seems! :-)

      Delete
  5. Do you consider dish detergent to be what you hand wash dishes with, or the stuff you put in your automatic dishwasher?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The liquid you wash dishes with. That other stuff is too harsh. :) Cheers!

      Delete
  6. This is amazing! I will be trying it soon. Thanks -

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you think I could add a little bit if lemon oil or other scented oil to the mix to help with the smell? I have 3 small (under age 10) children and a husband who is sensitive to certain smells. Thanks for the post and I have "repinned" it too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that might make it smell great! Let me know if you try it and how it turns out!

      Delete
    2. Just a warning with adding Lemon oil.. it could eat away at the plastic (even diluted it is powerful stuff)

      Delete
  8. Do you think I could add a little bit if lemon oil or other scented oil to the mix to help with the smell? I have 3 small (under age 10) children and a husband who is sensitive to certain smells. Thanks for the post and I have "repinned" it too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! Can't wait to try it. The city I live in has hard water so our shower looks dirty fast. Thanks for sharing. Pinned. Stopping by from HOH. Hope to see you at True Aim.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How, could you put that in the refill for the scrubbing bubbles automatic, LOL! That would rock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Been making this for years and love it. I actually like the smell of the rubbing alcohol when you spray it & it does dissipate rather quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My question is whether or not the hydrogen peroxide dissipates after sitting in the clear bottle for awhile. There is a reason it comes in a dark bottle from the store. Do you find your mix has the same cleaning qualities at the end of the bottle as you do when you first mix it?

    Love your blog. You are someone after my own heart. Why buy it if I can make it (for cheap!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna,

      I haven't had a problem with the hydrogen peroxide, but I go through at least one bottle per week, so maybe it doesn't have time to dissipate. :)

      Delete
  13. Can you use this on natural stone?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds awesome. I've actually been keeping a Magic Eraser in my shower, out of direct water contact and wiping down the walls/tub about once a week, before getting out of the shower and it's made a huge difference in my cleaning time. The magic eraser is great to clean my well water stains.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Tried the Fake it Windex and I love!! it
    Am trying the Clean shower but I haven't usually used a daily cleaner before.....Do I rinse this solution off?? or just spray and leave?? I used a squeegee this morning Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Compliments and Frugal Tips Only, Please!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...