Friday, September 23, 2011

"Fake" Dry Cleaning

When I first heard about products like Woolite's Dry Cleaner's Secret & Dryel Home Dry Cleaning, I was pretty skeptical.  I mean, doesn't it seem like magic happens when you bring those Dry Clean Only garments to the professionals and they come back in plastic bags looking brand new?

My husband just returned from a business trip to Africa.  He had two suits and 5 shirts for two weeks.  Needless to say, those suits came back looking pretty dusty, wrinkly and stinky.   This would normally be a time that I would take those suits straight to the dry clean professionals, but since many of you have asked if home dry cleaning was possible, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it first!

I recently came across a coupon for Woolite's product and figured I'd give it at try.  The worst case scenario was that I was out $7 and I'd have to take my dry clean only garments to the professionals anyway.




Woolite includes 6 packets of dry clean chemical soaked cloths.  One cloth will clean up to four pieces of clothing - depending on the size.  The instructions are pretty straight-forward.  Just wipe away any stains on the clothing using the cloth first, then put everything in the dryer for 20 minutes on medium heat.  It is important that you remove the clothing immediately after the dryer is finished to be sure it's wrinkle-free.

I used one cloth on 2 suits and 1 tie.  The tie had a pretty nasty stain on it which came right off using the Woolite cloth.  I also went along the sleeve and pant cuffs of the suits with the cloth, assuming those would be the dirtiest places.

Here's the final result:


Overall, I was very satisfied with this product.  It wasn't very time consuming and the clothes came out smelling fresh.  They were not perfectly pressed as you might get from a real Dry Cleaner, but they were acceptable.  A quick ironing would make them perfect!


Fake-It Yourself Breakdown:

Woolite Home Dry Cleaning:  $7.00 (with coupon), or I just found it here for $5.00 for six cloths that clean four garments each.

Total Fake-It Cost:  $1.16, 2 Men's Suits & 1 Tie

Professional Dry Cleaning:  $12.60 per Suit, $4.85 per Tie (using estimates from Bergmann's Cleaners)

Total Fake-It Savings:  $28.89*



*Depending on how much dry cleaning you do per year, this could really save you a bunch!  Based on my experience, we could save over $173.00 per box!

Linking Up at Tip Junkie, Today's Creative Blog and these other Great Parties!   

6 comments:

  1. I've been using these products for a little while and my rule is when there is a light stain or the clothing just needs to be refreshed, I do it myself. When a more serious cleaning is needed, I take it to the dry cleaners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems to be a great product. How would you say they smell? I hate taking things to the dry cleaners because they always smell so chemically to me when I get them back that I can actually start to taste it. Would love to save money and not smell like a chemical lab :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debra,

    The clothes came out smelling fresh, not like the chemicals you smell at the dry cleaner's. It was like a super powerful dryer sheet smell.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I come from a dry cleaning business family. I just wanted to add if you are smelling chemicals still on your clothes, chances are you are not taking your clothes to a reputable place. The reason the top of the line cleaners are expensive is because they clean their cleaning products, don't over stuff their machines, and generally just don't cut corners. Aka you get what you pay for...if you want to know how your dry cleaning place does business ask for a tour. :) Just remember why the above products might work for more natural fibers like cotton and generally be ok with anything that is wash and wear but, over time it will ruin fabrics like silk, wool, and cashmere. Just food for thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love those little easy steps that make life easy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never used the Woolite version, but I have used the Dryel version and it worked like a charm and saved me time and money.

    Thank you so much for linking up and sharing this solution on my mommy linky.

    I am sharing a link over on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete

Compliments and Frugal Tips Only, Please!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...