Monday, January 9, 2012

Snowy & Sparkly Winter Branches/Mantle

I've been admiring some of the pretty, snow & ice covered branches that have been gracing Pinterest:

Pinned Image
Credit
So why not make a few of my own?  I sent my hubby and son out to the woods to find me some good sticks while I went to grab a couple of After-Christmas Discount cans of Spray Snow.  

I decided to flock half of the sticks with the Spray Snow and add glitter to the other half.  I am going to be honest - I hated the flocking.  It's such a darn mess!  Sure, it looks like realistic, fluffy snow on the branch, but don't touch it!  If you do, it will turn to "baby powder" and go everywhere - on the floor, on the dog, and all over me!  Oy! I'll enjoy it for this season, but never again!


For the sparkly sticks, I spray painted them with some leftover white paint, then coated each branch with Modge-Podge before sprinkling them with clear glitter.  I really like the look of them and they will last for seasons to come.


Put it all together with my Silver Platter Wreath, a White Rag Light Garland (made with my hubby's old dress shirt), a couple of Sugared Ice Skates and here's my finished Wintertime Mantle:




Now we're all ready to snuggle in and enjoy Wintertime!


The Fake-It Yourself Breakdown:

Sparkly & Flocked Branches (Branches - Free, Spray Snow - $5/2 cans, Paint/Glitter/Glue - on hand)

Total Fake-It Cost:  $5.00, 2 Large Bunches of Branches

Linking Up at Tip Junkie, Today's Creative Blog, The Frugal GirlsFunky Junk Interiors and these other Great Parties!

5 comments:

  1. maybe white spray paint then glitter would be cleaner. love the skates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading about your branches,the good and the bad of it all. Good to know. Thanks for sharing. I am now a follower of your blog and look forward to return visits. I invite you to join me as well on my blog at http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com
    Hugs, Gayle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great...love the silver tray wreath too :) Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this - I have been thinking about doing a platter wreath and I love yours! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog thanks to wonderful Pinterest, and I started looking around. I have seen epsom salt used for 'snow' in those apothecary jar decorations, and maybe you can use that on some of the branches. I would suggest spray adhesive on the branches and then cover in the salt. You could then cover that in a spray clear varnish to make sure it all stays together. I love all the DIY on your site. I see a very crafty Christmas in my future. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Compliments and Frugal Tips Only, Please!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...