Monday, October 24, 2011

Double Bubble Toil & Trouble Pumpkin Muffins

I've just found this great new blog called The Smart Aldi Shopper where Jeff The Aldi Shopper (What? A MAN in blogland?) taste-test reviews many of Aldi's products.  For those of you who are curious about Aldi's products, I definitely suggest you check out Jeff's page!  He recently did a post on Aldi's Baker's Corner Pumpkin Bread of which I purchased 6 boxes when I saw it arrive in the store (tee hee).

Anyway, Jeff loved the bread and I knew I would, too, so this weekend I baked up a bunch using Aldi's canned pumpkin in place of their suggested amount of oil so that they'd be extra moist and a little healthier!



Ingredients:
2 Boxes Baker's Corner Pumpkin Bread Mix
1 Can Puree Pumpkin
4 Eggs
6 T Water
2 T Vegetable Oil

Mix it all together and put dollops of about 1/8 cup into cupcake papers.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.  Makes 23-24 muffins.


I also found BLACK Icing at Aldi two weeks ago (how do they make black icing?) and some awesome Ghost and Grave Stone Sprinkles!



Now, as you all know, I'm on Weight Watchers, so I didn't bake up this big pile of muffins for myself to nosh. I sent a few in for my husband's colleagues at work and I sent a big bunch in to my son's school for the teachers who work so hard!  Aren't they Boo-tiful???



The Fake-It Yourself Breakdown:

Aldi Double Pumpkin Muffins (Bread Mix $1.49x2, Can Pumpkin $0.99, Icing $1.29)

Total Fake-It Cost:  $5.26, Yields 24 Muffins ($0.22 per muffin)

Compare to Name Brands* (Pillsbury Quick Bread $3.29x2, Can Pumpkin $1.99, Duncan Hines Frosting $2.00)

Total Fake-It Savings:  $5.31  

Wow!  Shopping at Aldi cut my cost in HALF!  Oh, and though I am extremely enthusiastic about Aldi, I am not being paid by them. :)


*Prices obtained via Peapod Online Grocery Store

Linking Up at Tip Junkie, Today's Creative Blog and these other Great Parties!

8 comments:

  1. There is a weight watchers version-just white cake mix and a can of pumpkin! Bake 350 20-23 minutes. I am not sure of the points though. It is a huge hit around my house! I know Meijer's had cake mix buy one get one free this weekend (1.99 for 2). I stocked up to make these throughout the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How CUTE are those muffins?! I've never tried using the canned pumpkin in place of the oil - but you can bet I'll try it next time!

    I couldn't figure out what in the world I'd do with black frosting, but this is a great idea.

    I was at Aldi this morning (big surprise, huh?), and noticed they had cream cheese frosting in the tub - I don't recall seeing that before. It must be a sign that I should be making carrot cake this week...

    And thanks for the kind mention - I hope your readers will find information on my blog they can use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE these muffins! The black icing is so festive! And they're so cheap to make, I can't wait to try them. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these short cut recipes! Great when you need to whip up something in no time! This is a healthy recipe too, much less fat than other recipes! Yeah! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how many WW points plus are the pumpkin muffins described above?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I found you! We have many many times purchased Backers corner cornbread and muffin mix at Aldie and have run out (we buy a lot to make and to share at dinners as almost every one loves it) and have been unab l en to get more for over a month.nothing on line about it that we can find and several ways to "do up" this mix when desired,please can you help us?
    LOVE THE PUMPKIN AND BLACK ICEING. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Compliments and Frugal Tips Only, Please!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...