Monday, November 14, 2011

"Eat The Whole Thing" Pumpkin Pie

Since I've been dieting changing my lifestyle, I've been looking for more ways to save money while at the same time stuff my face with healthy food.

While I really enjoy Weight Watcher's, I sometimes think that they are being impractical when they tell you that you can eat ONE small piece of "their" pie/cake/cookies for 3 Points when you know darn well that you will end up eating the whole thing before the day is out!   As I've said in previous posts, I'm HUNGRY!  I want more than one piece - I want at least two & maybe more!

Credit
Here's a recipe for Pumpkin Pie that I came up with that you can feel good about eating...and you can eat a whole lot of it too!  In fact, you can eat a quarter of this pie for only 3 Points (100 Calories)!!!

Ingredients:
1 Cup Honey Nut Cheerios
Non-Stick Spray

1 Can Pumpkin Puree (not Pumpkin Pie filling)
1 Egg
1/4 Skim Milk
1/4 Cup Splenda
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Ginger
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg

First, spray your pie plate with non-stick spray.  Next, put the Cheerios in a small ziplock bag and crush them until they are fine.  I used a wooden roller to go over them a few times and it did the trick!


Pour the Cheerios crumbs into the pie plate and give them another bit of non-stick spray just to tamp them down.


Then, mix the remaining ingredients and pour on top of the crumbs.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.   Allow it to cool for an hour and put it in the fridge for at least another 2 hours (but overnight is the best).  That's it!


Serve yourself a big piece with 2 Tablespoons of your favorite lo-cal, lo-fat whipped topping for an additional 1 Point (15-20 Calories).  Oh, by the way...for a really great comparison between Cool Whip Free Topping and Fat Free Reddi Whip, check out this article from Hungry Girl!


Now, would I serve this pie on Thanksgiving Day?  Absolutely not.  This is for the days before and after Thanksgiving when it is hardest to stay on track and it seems that dessert is everywhere! This is one "special treat" that will help get you through!


The Fake-It Yourself Breakdown:

Fake Pumpkin Pie:  Entire Pie = 12 Points, or 400 Calories

Total Per Serving:  3 Points per Quarter of Pie, or 100 Calories per Quarter of Pie

Compare to Traditional Pumpkin Pie:  9 Points per Slice (225 Calories), 18 Points per Quarter of Pie (550 Calories)

Total Points/Calories Savings:  15 Points per Quarter (450 Calories)

Total Fake-It Cost:  About $1.00 for the entire pie!

Compare to Store-Bought Pie ($4.99)

Total Fake-It Savings:  $3.99


Linking Up at Tip Junkie, Today's Creative Blog, The Frugal Girls, and these other Great Parties!

6 comments:

  1. Totally pinning this for use in the future. Nummy. Visting from Tip Junkie. And also trying to diet (which I could strikethrough in the comment section) change my lifestyle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! Visit me at http://raisingdieter.blogspot.com/ for a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a Cheerios crust!

    What a great idea! I hope you will link this post to my Thanksgiving Traditions link up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this pie sounds too good to be true, but I'm going to try it 'cause I love pumpkin pie! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are talking about the 15oz can of pumpkin, right? You can also make crust-less pumpkin pie to save on points...BUT for only 3 pts a quarter I will definitely be trying this recipe! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I substitute sweet potatoes for pumpkin. I just pop one in the microwave, zap a few minutes, turn it over and repeat till it is soft when squeezed. Let it cool, peel, mash and it is ready for any pumpkin recipe. It is sweeter than pumpkin and not as wet so you may want to make corrections accordingly, but for pie, I think the result is denser and richer. Cheaper than a can of pumpkin and no can to recycle.

    ReplyDelete

Compliments and Frugal Tips Only, Please!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...