Monday, June 20, 2011

Rag Rose Topiary Lamp

Here's my old lamp:


Nothing really wrong with it...but its pretty unremarkable and I'm in the mood for something beautiful!

I picked up the little pot (shown in picture) at a yard sale for $0.50 and the lamp base fit right inside perfectly!  Hooray!  That's when I decided to "plant my lamp" and turn it into a topiary.  I found these bags of craft moss at the Dollar Tree and got gluing!


I cut off the dangling beads from the shade and put them away for a future project.  Then, I hot glued two different kinds of moss for some texture and to ensure good coverage of the lamp shade.



Next, I made these super-easy rag roses using an old sheet.  To make one, simply rip a strip of fabric, roll it loosely, gather the bottom edge and tie it off with a piece of string.  Separate the "petals" with your fingers and you have a rose! No sewing required!


I glued a bunch of different sized roses and buds all around the shade.



For the lamp base, I put a whole bunch of glue at the bottom of the pot and stuck the lamp in - it's not going anywhere!  I then sponged a bit of brown and green paints on the lamp stem and painted the finial on the top to look like a rose bud.




Inside the pot, I put a few plastic grocery bags in as filler and scrunched a remnant piece of green fabric.


Here's the final product!  I keep thinking it looks like the Red Queen's topiary bushes from Alice In Wonderland - I am tempted to paint all of the roses red!



Fake-It Yourself Breakdown:

Rag Rose Topiary Lamp (Lamp $0.00, Moss $2.00, Roses $0.00, Pot $0.50)

Total Fake-It Cost:  $2.50


**If you liked this, check out my other Crafts!**

9 comments:

  1. How FUN!! And it was so inexpensive!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG waaayyy too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I love working with moss! This is beautiful Thanks for your sweet comment on my cardboard tealights because that's how I found your blog. Love it and a new follower here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment about my bell jars. Love your lamp redo. I'm having a link party tomorrow and would love for you to stop by and link up a project.
    http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how the lamp is in a pot! And how you recycled grocery bags!

    -caroline @ c.w.frosting

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! You'd never recognize that as the same lamp! Thank you for linking to Handy Man, Crafty Woman Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for joining me at my blog party Simply Creative! Stop by this Thursday and we'll party again!!

    Angela
    http://365days2simplicity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute redo! Thank you for joining Thrifty things Friday! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Turning a lamp into a topiary -- so clever!

    I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete

Compliments and Frugal Tips Only, Please!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...